Tuesday, May 09, 2006

My blog is funny.....I'm just saying....

I have a friend from college who taught me a very valuable life lesson. He taught me that you can't always say whatever you want. But if you follow it up with "I'm just saying", it makes it all better and then you can say wahtever you want.....much like having a Brittish accent. Adding that magical phrase "I'm just saying" really means that you're not making any kind of political or whatever sided statement. It just means you innocently wanted to put a thought out into the air and perhaps point something out and that's all.
For example, let's say you have a friend who decided to live for a week on a water bubble and now he has liver failure and possibly many other things wrong with him. You might want to express that you feel bad from him. Then the other person in the conversation could respond something like, "How can you feel bad for him? He's an idiot! Why would you live in a bubble for a week?! Of course you're going to have stuff wrong with you! Besides what is already wrong with you." Now you can respond to this person "I'm just saying..." and that will fix everything. It is telling the person that while you agree that this dude may very well be an idiot, you can still feel bad for him - and that's all you wanted to say.

However, there are ways you can abuse the phrase, "I'm jsut saying....", that are NOT cool! For example, you can not just walk over to a person and say something like, "Dude, you are the ugliest person on the planet. Please cover your face and don't come out". That would be mean. Perhaps if you have a Brittish accent, you could get away with it. But not everyone has a Brittish accent. Some people might think they do, but they do not. You really can't tell someone they're ugly and then add the magical phrase and it will all be ok. That would be abusing the power of the phrase. And it would also be very mean and I would be forced to pummel you. So don't do that.

Another thing this phrase is great for is when you say something weird and/or obvious but you don't want to look stupid. For example, if you randomly say something like "The sky is blue". Well Duh! What planet did you just fall off of. But if you add the magical words "I'm just saying", it's all good.

I think having a Brittish accent is way cooler. You can get away with a lot more. But for now, this works too. I'm just saying....

2 Comments:

At 5/15/2006 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

British accent is nothing compared to the Aussie accent. THEY can get away with saying ANYTHING!

Arona, do you choose the words 1 has to type to avoid spam on your blog? They seem like words that you'd try to pronounce but just end up spitting in someone's face ;o)

 
At 5/15/2006 3:10 PM, Blogger Sameach18 said...

I chose to have the word there. But I do not get to pick the word. It's random. I'm sorry if you ended up spitting in someone's face. Don't blame it on me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home