Thursday, June 29, 2006

Family Roots

I very rarely go to my home town. If you knew where I'm from, you'd understand why, but I don't want to say right now. Let's just say the bus ride involves a מחיצה. Tons of fun. So the rare times that I do go home, there are all those people in shul who are so excited and surprised to see me b/c they remember me when I was thiiiis big. And then there are the others who have no idea who I am. I met one of those women a few years ago on Tisha B'Av in shul. She was so friendly, asking me where I'm from, whom I'm visiting, the usual friendly "you must be new here" questions. So I told her my parents live here and she said "oooh you're "Sheila's" daughter....and your sister is getting married soon, right?" Yup. Then she said to me "You don't look like them at all. You don't have that red hair". So I giggled a little and simply said back, "That's ok, neither do they".

1 Comments:

At 7/02/2006 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get that a lot too when I go back to my parents. The worst I heard, though, was when the rabbi of a large congregation that shall remain innocent to protect the nameless was talking to a couple, members of his shul, about their daughter at a kiddush:
-Is she dating anyone?
-You officiated her wedding as mesader kiddushin, remember?

WTH?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home