Thursday, May 18, 2006

Go Mommy! It's your birthday!

It actually is my mom's birthday tomorrow. So in honor of that, I thought I would post a really good story that happened to my mom last year. Happy Birthday Mommy! I love you! You can all call my mom on Friday and wish her a happy birthday. She'll love that!

About a year ago, while my mom (further referred to as Mommy) was getting a manicure, she started talking to the other lady (further referred to as Lady) getting a manicure - b/c what else is there to do while your hands are drying. Just for background reference, mommy wears pants and does not cover her hair and the lady was wearing a skirt and a full sheitel. So they were talking and of course, like all good mothers, they started talking about me, being a single woman, and lady's son, being a single man, and how we should of course get married......story of my life! For another post. Anyways, lady said to mommy that she wouldn't want her son to marry me b/c she wants her son's mother-in-law to cover her hair and in general to be more frum than mommy appears to be. So of course, mommy, the brilliant, sharp woman that she is, let lady have it! Mommy told her that Mommy is just as frum, if not more so than Lady! Mommy keeps just as kosher, and keeps the same shabbat and holidays, and davens every day, and mommy's husband (daddy) also davens 3 times a day..... So lady got all defensive and began apologizing....that's not what I meant.....you're taking it the wrong way.....I'm not judging......I'm just saying..... So mommy said that's what lady said.....if you don't mean it, you shouldn't say it..... Lady kept trying to explain herself that she just wants her son to marry into a family that is more frum than my family appears to be. My mother kept letting her have it. But mommy's final comment was awesome! Mommy told this lady "It's because of people like you that the בית המקדש was destroyed - because of שנאת חינם" (random senseless hatred of one another). I gotta say, I agree. Jews have a real problem with this concept of being tolerant of others. We are soooo judgmental - this one's skirt is too short....that one's hat isn't covering all her hair....that one's kippah is velvet, not crocheted..... I mean, really, we all got the same תורה. What is wrong with us?! And by the way, how can we expect the rest of the world to be tolerant of us, if we can't even be tolerant of us?

Well anyways,
Mommy told her! Go Mommy! It's your birthday! Go Mommy!

3 Comments:

At 5/19/2006 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude your mommy does rock.
Happy Birthday to Mommy!!

 
At 5/24/2006 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice to know that I'm not the only 1 with a big mouth in these cases!

 
At 5/24/2006 11:09 AM, Blogger Sameach18 said...

yeah. sometimes it's good to have a big mouth. not always....but sometimes....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home