Thursday, November 17, 2005

Crazy in NYC

It is amazing how oblivious pedestrians are in NYC. It is equally amazing how drivers in NYC notice everything you do and every move you make and honk and glare at you if they don't like what you did. I recently rented a car - I've rented so many cars and mini-vans in the past month - more than I ever have in my life - I should write a book. Anyways, Monday, I rented a car. so of course as I was trying to drive in NYC without getting dead, other drivers honked at me if I went too slowely, or if I didn't move at the red light - yes I said red light - when really you're not allowed to move. But apparently there's a hidden rule in NYC that if you're surrounded by cabs - or any other cars or busses or trucks or man pushing a cart - yes they too drive here. I almost hit one. So if you are surrounded at a red light by anything on wheels, and you don't move, they will honk and glare and maybe even plow thru you. So be careful.
On the flip side, I have found that pedestrians are so oblivious. They have no idea what is going on around them, even if there is a car driving on to the sidewalk....right in front of them.....blocking the sidewalk.....cutting them off. I think they see a large solid mass blocking the sidewalk, so they casually step around it. But I don't think they konw what is actually going on. On Tuesday morning, when I went to return the car, I was told to turn up onto the sidewalk and drive down into the garage. I tried that. But there were soooo many ppl walking in my way. I feel like do you not realize I'm coming at you with tons and tons of metal and gas and sparks and if I hit you, I can kill you! If I hit you, I win. And yet these ppl kept walking as though the sidewalk grew a harmless obstruction that they now have to walk around to get by. And of course if I hit someone, it would be my fault. Where's the justice?!

2 Comments:

At 11/20/2005 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok ill let you in one a little native New York secret. when it says walk, proceed to walk across the street. however when it says dont walk, run! and that my dear friend is how to be a pedestrain in NYC. love and faith
amy g

 
At 11/20/2005 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw how was the shower
love and faith
amy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home